22 August 2006

innere werte (inner values), feature film

When a script starts out with the main actor tumbling out of an nightmare and saying, "light!" the light goes on and the film starts - what else is there to say except: when does prep start? (I must also add that the script has a "mullholland drive" feeling; a science fiction - mystery film with a dark sense of humor with a great story that was really fun to read!)
Working with Dop Sandra Merseburger was an exeptional working releationship. She has such a fine eye for light, rooms and colours so that when I arrived in Hamburg (wonderful city!) for location scouting, most of my work was done. Sandra had this idea about using lots of practicals in the corridors of the hotel (the main location) and had picked camera angels and positions that were amazing in themself and ready to shoot.I told her about my experinces in london where I used mostly practicals in the interieurs. She loved the idea and off we went to ikea to pick out lamps that would fit my lighting needs and also suit her needs within the frame. we came up with a bunch of really interesting lamps. It worked fantastically and was reduction in its purest form. sometimes we had wonderful shadows on the wall and the lamp that produced them was right in the frame next to the actor. I was struck by the beauty and the simplicity! After the first day Sandra trusted me enough to give me the artisic freedom to light the scenes (after having talked about the mood and light levels for the scenes of the upcoming day) So I just checked with her shortly before rolling. - she just nodded her head " looks great " - and off we went. we both felt that we wanted the same light for the film, so talking about the light was never about technical issues but about results and looks. Such collaberations don't happen that often and are very rewarding. This includes producer Peter Stockhaus who was very supportive in our creative decisions. My crew also got their share of the party by being able to give them the freedom to rig the way they wanted to. This gave them much more fun in their job- which they did outstandingly. I am proud to have found a team that over the years has become a family in its own sense. for some pics click here.

No comments: